Hardcore Mudd Run “Brotherhood Statement”

Today I am not a racer, competitor or contestant.
Today I am being tested, challenged and pushed.
Today Pain and Fear will find ME and I will overcome.
Today I am here to be challenged!
Today I am here to claim my right!
Today I am no longer I or me!
Today I will become US and WE!
Today WE will become members of the
HARDCORE Brotherhood!!!

My wife and I started our Journey from coach to Hardcore in march of 2012. We decided it was time for a change from being fat and lazy. We found Jillian Michaels Body Revolution, a 30 minute a day, 6 day a week 90 day HIIT program and diet plan. I lost 93 pounds and Kim 50 pounds in 4-5 months. We have since repeated this program 5 times with a few other of J.M.’s programs mixed in and P90X once. We also in the beginning started walking then interval running and then even more running.

In July we ran the Color Me Rad 5k and surprised ourselves on how well we did. In Oct. we ran The Warrior Dash obstacle 5K and had a blast and without trying we each finished in the top 20% surprising ourselves. We had planned on doing The Warrior Dash again in 2013 and actually go for time but we waited to book too long and the early heats were all filled up so we searched for other challenges. This is when we saw The Hardcore Mudd Run Pain Camp close by and The Hardcore Mudd Run at Jiminey Peak Ma. I figured what the hell and signed us both up for both of them. We were not prepared for Pain Camp and it may have been the hardest thing we have ever done. That said we finished and it did exactly what it is meant to do, it empowered us. People ask if it was fun. I always say, “I wish I could say it was fun but it was not, It was a life changing event. It showed us we were stronger than we ever thought possible and that no matter how much our head tells us we can’t our bodies can keep going.” We walked away with a new found confidence and a willingness and thirst to test ourselves even more. I highly recommend everyone to do The Hardcore Mudd Run Pain Camp if it comes to a city near you.

All summer we pushed our running both with speed and distance and ran our first 10k and did even better than we thought we could. Then in September it was time For The Hardcore Mudd Run at Jiminey Peak in Ma. Having done Pain Camp we got to know a couple of the organizers and met up with Rich Friday night before and looking at the mountain with him I was getting nervous. By morning the nerves faded and excitement set in. We were in the first heat. The night before we prehydrated, carbo and protein loaded and in the morning we hydrated and protein loaded as well. It was time to go 9am, 8 miles up and down the mountain 4.5 times. The horn sounds and we were all off, some ran, we jogged and surprisingly we both got a little winded early a little bit scary considering how early it was. Soon everyone was walking or jogging and the entire first heat was together again as we went through the first few obstacles. then we came to Up and Over everyone worked together to get people over, it was great seeing everyone doing what HMR is about, teamwork to overcome and I was appreciative since Kim and I were a team of two and the walls would have been a problem. Now we start the steep climb through the woods and we notice I man stopped, we passed him and then looked back and he was sitting down not looking good. We both went back and tried to help him. He was already dehydrated, the first water station was at the top of the mountain, so Kim stayed with him and I took off running thinking we were almost to the top. I was wrong we were only at the halfway point. I made it to the top got a cup of water (yes open cup, not a bottle) and started running down the mountain at this point the entire first heat was passing me as they came up and I went down. I met up with Kim and we got this man hydrated. We told him we would run with him if he wanted to continue. He did, we introduced ourselves and up the mountain we went as a team of three. Brian was his name. we learned that he did not prehydrate or eat properly so at the first water/food station he drank more water and ½ a banana and we continued. We pushed forward and passed the majority of the first heat when they got lost in the woods and we did not. We were not running or jogging just walking. Up and down the mountain we went Brian wanted to quit a few times but we would not let him, we kept encouraging him. We rested when we needed and Brian carried an open cup of water as long as he could putting it down at obstacles and picking it up when we completed them. We kept pushing ourselves and him. Honestly it was a great help for us to have picked up another teammate because when we reached Mission Impossible Kim and I would not have been able to complete it on our own. We would have had to have me not complete it or wait for someone who would help me get over (Kim’s 5 foot tall body was not enough to help me over). We kept pushing on, completing every obstacle, Brian even overcame his claustrophobia by doing the Long Crawl. When we reached the point where we knew we were close to the finish we decided to finish strong and run the last ½ mile or so. What a wonderful experience, we overcame fears, beat every obstacle by working as a team, met great people gave help when needed and got help from others and inherited a great teammate who helped us as much as we helped him.

After finishing we got a little food, road the chair lift to the top to encourage people still on the course and made sure we stayed at the finish line until the last team had crossed the finish line. I have to say this was another inspirational event in our lives just as Pain Camp was earlier in the year. We were told Kim was the second woman to finish and we were in the first 15-20 people to cross the line. I know this was not a race and never treated it as such but hearing how well we did gives us the encouragement we need to stay fit and keep challenging ourselves. We had so much fun we are running the Hardcore Mudd Run in PA just 3 weeks after Jiminey Peak. Our story will continue I plan on doing Hardcore Mudd Run Last Man Standing in 2014 and we both hope to be instructors at Pain Camp in 2014 as well.

My name is Jordyn. And I would like to personally thank you for giving my life back to me. Let me explain...

I am a 20 year old PSU student. I have never been that skinny girl, and I have never really been comfortable with how I looked. I started to lose weight through diet and exercise and did really well, getting down to 150lbs (pretty healthy for my height). Then on November 30th, 2014, my 27 year old sister died suddenly from and aneurism. I lost sight of who I was and basically sat and home depressed and always eating. I got up to 190lbs. In January, my boyfriend suggested the Mudd Run Sprint in Pleasant Gap. I was a little scared, I have to admit, but I signed up anyway. Little did I know that by having this goal, I was taking control of my life again. I have lost almost 20lbs so far and am starting to like myself again, all because of training for the Mudd Run. So thank you for giving me something to reach for, and for showing me I can beat the bad things in life and turn them into good ones.

Can't wait to see you all on the 26th!
Jordyn Brooks




Here is a tribute from Kathy Brown to her husbend, he passed away shortly before the Hardcore Mudd Run.

Kathy Brown remembers sitting at a meeting of her grief-support group. A woman in her 70s talked about losing her husband of 43 years, and, despite what seemed like having had a full life with him, she was still bitter and having dif- ficulty accepting his death.
“My husband died and I feel I’ve had something amputated,” Brown recalls the woman saying. “That’s exactly how felt,” Brown says as she sits at her dining room table in her State College home during a late-January day. “That’s the word — amputated, like an invisible limb was being ripped off. That’s how you feel when you lose a very good partner.”
Brown had lost her partner, her husband, Chris, in July 2012 in a skydiving accident a little more than a week before his 53rd birthday. He was skydiving in Mifflin County when his main shoot opened and became tangled, and his emergency shoot didn’t open.
Kathy and Chris had been together for 2 1⁄2 years, including seven months of marriage. Brown tried — and, in some ways, still is trying — to make sense of it all.
The older woman in the support group then said something that stuck with Brown even more. She said her husband had lived a complete life and, perhaps, she wasn’t done yet. She needed to complete her life.
Kathy says Chris would, on many occasions, say to her, “My life is complete now that you’re in it.”
“I didn’t echo his feelings,” Kathy, 51, says. “It’s probably because I needed to do something to complete my life. I’m stilling living, still looking for answers.”
One way she attempted to find answers and some reconciliation is by writing a book about another of Chris’s passions — impossible bottles, the art of placing ob- jects that seem too large to fit inside a glass bottle. Chris made around 350 of these bottles during his life, and he was in the process of writing a how-to book about this art form when he died.
Last year, Kathy completed Chris’s wish of writ- ing a book, and more. She wrote and published A Love Story of Impossible Bottles, and while the final part is a “how-to” on how to make impos- sible bottles, much of the book deals with parts of Chris’s and Kathy’s lives that are represented by specific bottles each made.
In the chapter “Miss You, Pap,” Kathy writes about the bottle Chris made to remember his grandfather, Pap. Among the objects Chris placed in a bottle were a small picture frame with Pap’s photo, three playing cards that represented the card game Thirty-One that he and his grandfather played, and a pack of Lucky Strike cigarettes.
Kathy, who was born and raised in China be- fore moving to America in 1986, did a bottle with objects that symbolized her journey to the United States. They included a small Statue of Liberty, a deck of cards with pictures of New York City, and a $1 million bill of play money representing “opportunities in this free land.”
She has put many of the bottles she created in a second-floor room of her home that is dedicated to Chris. Besides bottles, it has many things that Chris collected or that he was interested in during his life.
One of Kathy’s favorite bottles is the one she did for the Hardcore Mudd Run. A few months after Chris’s passing, members of his family and some of his friends wanted to participate in the Hardcore Mudd Run at Tussey Mountain. It was something that Chris had signed up to do.
It was while she stood in the rain for five or six hours and watched Chris’s son and daughter and some of his friends, as well as her daughter, Jackie, struggle through the eight-mile course that Kathy became inspired to not only create a bottle based on the run, but also write her book.
“Just seeing their spirit [as they ran the course], all of a sudden, in my mind, it came to me that I can build a bottle to commemorate this event,” she says. “Then the title, A Love Story of Impossible Bottles, came to me. Once I had this title, I felt excited. Now I know what I needed to do to write this book. It was more incentive, more motivation for me. ... It would talk about family and love. ... Once I got the title, everything fell into place.”
It took Kathy about 10 months to write the book. Since it’s been published she has received positive reaction from those who knew Chris as well as those who didn’t.
“I was amazed at her determination to honor my brother by completing his dream,” Chris’s sis- ter, Bert, says. “It’s more than I expected. ... This turned out to be a testament of their love.”
Kathy also received an e-mail from a man in Australia who had read the book. He wanted to make a bottle for his mother, who was dying from breast cancer. Kathy followed up with the man recently, and he had completed the bottle and it impressed his mother.
“I feel better that I can touch more people’s hearts ... I can accept Chris’s death more,” she says. “I don’t know if I’ll ever completely gain a total peace but, each time something positive happens, I feel more accepting of his death.”
Chris and Kathy met in 1997. Both worked at Penn State doing IT work for the school — Chris worked as the IT director at the graduate school; Kathy is currently an IT manager at Information Technology Services at Penn State. When they met, both were married, so they had a strictly professional relationship. They started to date in early 2010 when they had found out each was single.
The two married in December 2011. Kathy says her life was perfect for the seven months they were married, which is why it’s been difficult to accept Chris’s death. She says she even questioned her faith in God.
“I thought I was trying to live my life right,” she says. “My first marriage failed. For nine years I was dedicated to my work and kids. I did not bring any turmoil to my life so my kids could have a secure and stable life. Finally, the time is right for Chris to come into my life. We’re both happy. We’re going to grow old together. Why take that away from me? What’s the purpose there? That was the feeling I carried for a long time.” She’s beginning to see a purpose through the book and her ability to create impossible bottles. For the bottle commemorating the Hardcore Mudd Run, which took her two months to finish, she was struggling with it when she says she felt Chris’s presence. She finally figured out how to do what she wanted to do — she stacked two decks of cards on top of each other and built a wooden platform around it to “illustrate a particularly difficult obstacle the team had to overcome.” The bottle has photos of the team members appearing as if they are going over the wall, and a photo of the team after they finished the run holding a life-size cardboard image of Chris.
Kathy wrote in the book, “The bottle became my new favorite because it represented Chris, family, and overcoming challenges.” Chris’s mother, Joy, says she is so grateful Chris found Kathy, and after reading the book, she would “hope people think twice about their marriage. So many don’t last. What those kids had in seven months, some people never have in a lifetime.”
When asked to describe Chris to someone who had never met him, Kathy says he was a very quiet person who didn’t say much, unless he had something important to say. But if you gave him a microphone on stage, he could talk for a long time. And he was always looking for “unique” things in life — like impossible bottles and skydiving.
She says he liked his “boy stuff” and was a “macho-man type” but also was very sensitive and soft-spoken — and he loved to show his affection for his wife. Three days before Chris’s death, he and Kathy sat outside Medlar Field at Lubrano Park to watch the July 4th fireworks. Chris whispered in Kathy’s ear, “I still can’t believe I am married to you and I love you so much.” On the morning of his death, Chris called from the airfield. Kathy was to meet him there later in the day. He ended the call saying, “One more thing honey — I love you very much!”
“So that always plays in my head,” Kathy says. “I can still be angry at him. I joke to some people to this day that I’m still mad at him and why did he go skydiving? But I remind myself of his love for me.”
And she’s also reminded of how much she learned from Chris during their time together — and even since his passing.
“You don’t want to be down, stuck in a time of sadness all the time,” she says. “You want to keep going and bring more positive to this world. All the things he left behind motivate me to try and do more.”
As for what Chris would think of her book, Kathy says, “I can see his face and big smile, and his saying, ‘You did it, baby!’ ”
We would like to Honor one of our own fallen.